Tweet

Saturday, February 04, 2012

What will be my next Quality Compact?

Time to upgrade my trusty Canon G9. 

Requirements:

  • Good Image Quality
  • Use in low light without flash
  • Viewfinder
  • Less than £500

Shortlist:

In order of current preference:
  • Fuji X10
  • Canon G2
  • Nikon P7100
  • Panasonic G3

Fuji X-10

Canon G12

Nikon P7100

Panasonic Lumix G3

Notes

The Fuji is great to hold and use, slightly larger sensor than G12 and P7100 but a more limited range (28-212mm 35mm equivalent) with a great view finder. Reviews and comments are good.

Canon is a sure bet, always at or near the top of quality compact reviews but only has 720 HD movie.

Nikon I have yet to have a go with. I nearly bought the P7000 but very slow image processing made it a none starter, but this is suppose to be fixed in P7100. Has a long range to 200mm 35mm equivalent.

Lumix get great review, very good EVF which unique in this collection displays shooting information. However although much smaller than my Nikon D90 it is quite a bit bigger than the other three when fitted with standard lens. There is a new lens available which is more compact, but increases price beyond £500. Another worry is I already have a large investment in Nikon DSLR kit, do I want to start another with 4/3 DSLR.

No comments: