Tweet

Thursday, March 05, 2009

Processing and cataloguing sequence

It's been some time since I made an entry on this blog, mainly because I have been investigating other resources, namely my own web site and Google Docs.

Method
Like many other people I generate a lot of digital images, so I am always looking for ways to reduce time in processing them. Currently I 
  1. Take photos in Nikon D90 and Canon G9
  2. I set both to record RAW and JPG
  3. After downloading to PC I review JPGs through Picasa, using Picasa to make quick improvements. (Note Picasa does not change original)
  4. I grade them by adding star onto better ones
  5. Star photos I load equivalent RAW into Photo Shop Elements 6 and edit, saving final JPG at maximum quality.
  6.  I merge these "RAW" JPGS with original JPG from step(3) and export to a work folder,
    because I want to review them in FastStone Image Viewer which will not process Picasa edits. Exporting them applies the edits before exporting but again does not change original jpg.
  7. Use excellent caparison features in FastStone Image Viewer to select best photo (not always the RAW based one) and to choose between similar photos, deleting ones not required
  8. Use FastStone Image Viewer rename facility to create names, keeping original camera sequence number and building up name and finally adding date-time stamp to name.
  9. Return to Picasa which I use to add keyword tags. 

No comments: